Water Saving Tips
These water saving tips will not only help you save money but also conserve our most precious resource. If you live in Los Angeles you know that we are always being warned to use water wisely due to drought conditions. So here are some things you can do to easily cut back on your water use and help the environment.
Water Saving Tips For The Kitchen
- Use your diswasher with only a full load of dishes.
- Install low-flow faucet aerators.
- Wash fruits and vegetables in a large bowl filled with water rather than letting the water run from the faucet while you clean them.
- Soak your pots and pans instead of letting the water run while trying to clean them.
Water Saving Tips For The Bathroom
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
- Install low-flow shower heads and low-flow faucet aerators.
- Take shorter showers or turn off the shower while soaping up then turn back on to rinse off. Also, try and not take baths as they use more water to fill the bathtub then a 10-minute shower with a low-flow shower head.
- Check your toilets for leaks. You can buy leak detection tablets or put a little food coloring inside your tank. After 30 mintues (don’t flush) if you see the food coloring inside the bowl you have a leak that needs to be fixed.
- Install a low-flow or dual flush toilet.
Water Saving Tips For Outdoors
- Use a broom to clean sidewalks and driveways and not a water hose.
- Water your lawn only when needed and not on windy days.
- When washing your car don’t let the hose run. You can also wash your car on your lawn and be taking care of two things at once!
Water Saving Tips For The Home
- Use your washing machine with only full load of clothes.
- Check for leaks in your faucets & pipes and fix them ASAP.
- If you’re in the market for new appliances or water devices, make sure they are ENERGY STAR certified or have the WaterSense label.
- Show your children how to save water and reward them for their effort.
- Pay close attention to your water bill and meter. Use these to help track water use and possible leaks.
If there are other tips or ideas you don’t see on here that you think would help please email us and we would be happy to add them. You can also view our page that shows several water saving devices you can install for additional water savings. Together we can all benefit and do our part to save water and our environment.