What To Look For In A Portable Air Conditioner
Are you looking to purchase a portable air conditioner for your room? Here are some things you need to consider and be on the look out for before you make that purchase. We will go over the pros and cons along with a list of features you should look for in a portable air conditioner unit.
Prices for one of these units start around $300 and go up from there depending on how many BTU's you need. These are more expensive than window units which start around $150. If you need to know what size air conditioner you need, please read our article about this under our resources section to the right. Keep in mind though that you'll need more BTU's if you are looking to buy a portable air conditioner because they don't cool as well as window units.
- Portable air conditioners can be rolled from room to room.
- If window space is restricted or live in a building where regular room air conditioners are not allowed then portable air conditioners make a good fit.
- Units are easy to setup and generally don't require any tools to install.
- The main drawbacks with these units is that they don't cool as well as window units do.
- Need to have their vent exhaust pointed outside.
- You have to empty the water tank periodically.
- More expensive than window units.
- A unit with multidirectional airflow or oscillating louvers.
- Digital controls to set temperature and timer.
- A unit that has wheels and/or handles to make moving it easier.
- Make sure unit has venting or exhaust hose along with a window adapter kit.